Friday, August 30, 2013

Where in the world....

....is I Quilt for Fun?

Good question.  And an even better question when I look at the last two weeks, is what have I been doing? At first, I thought -- nothing.  Then I decided it was more than nothing but two weeks of retirement is a lot of "free time" -- even with a part-time volunteer job.

1.  I have finally quilted this behemoth.  Hurray -- and the binding is sewn on -- just not sewn down.  So good to see Sadie Gammill again.
2.  I have been to Chicago to see dear friends.  Don't you love how quilting acquaintances morph over time into lifelong friends?  I'll be heading back at the end of the month to celebrate the naturalization of one of those chickies -- but will have a trip to Toronto to get in before that.

3.  I have started to learn to needle felt.  Thus far -- I have managed to make this cute "itsy bitsy" pincushion that has a center of incredible alpaca -- donated by my friend at Talotam Hollow.
4. I have quilted this darling quilt on Ethel Handiquilter.  It's a small twin and I have at least started sewing down the binding on it.  Love "ama's" generosity!
 5. I have started (and am halfway done with) a reading plan to read the New Testament in 30 days.

6. I have quilted one donation quilt for the hospital and made two other donation baby quilts that need quilting.

7. Somehow, I have managed to make a complete and total mess of my quilting room -- I mean a mess! I decided to adopt two rather large bags of scraps that were being auctioned at our local guild in order to raise money for Salvation Army Angel tree.  I am not sure why I think I have to save all the scraps in the world.  Some of these will go to Goodwill -- but you have to go through all of them and salvage what you can!

8. I've managed to watch a little of the US Open -- not nearly enough to suit me.  I'm hoping next week will bring more time to enjoy the last major of the season.  The downside is that this requires listening to John McEnroe and Brad Gilbert commentate (pontificate).  Sometimes I am sure my ears are going to bleed if they keep talking!

9. Last - and certainly not least, I spent one HOT HOT HOT day in the garage in order to make some tough decisions, organize a bunch of stuff, move a few things in the house that need further attention -- all because it was time to get Mr Iquiltforfun's car in the garage -- it has been almost two years since we moved and it seemed like time!  We did it!

I hope you have all kinds of fun things planned for this long US holiday and next week -- can't wait to see where the winds of creativity blow.  How about you?

Jan






19 comments:

Mary said...

You've had a great August! Way to go!

Unknown said...

I love you quilts! They look great! Come link up with us at Craft Frenzy Friday at www.craftdictator.com!! The link up is open until Wednesday!

Schulz Family said...

visiting you again via Sew Many Ways - wow reading the NT in 30 days!! I read the whole bible in a year and it really did take me that long. You do set amazing challenges for yourself

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying today. Sounds like you have been pretty busy. I really like how your quilts turned out! I am working on a big quilt, too. Whew they take along time to load.

JoEllen said...

I love your quilt and pincushion! The colors are wonderful!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I love your quilt and that pincushion is wonderful. I'm amazed you thought you'd done nothing :)

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Lovely quilts! I have to admit I zeroed in on Sadie Gammill and Ethel Handiquilter because I so want a longarm machine. Good for you reading the New Testament in 30 days! Every year our church has a program read the whole Bible in 90 days. And I am here to tell you it still takes me one year to do it! congrats on cleaning out that garage! I am sure Mr. IQuiltForFun appreciates it. :)

Luann said...

What a wonderful goal! The New Testament in 30 days. How wonderful. I do the 90 day challenge twice a year.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting on Craft Frenzy Friday!

Kayla @ Home Coming said...

Your quilts are so pretty! I'm hosing a candle giveaway on my blog that you should enter! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/fremont-candles-givewaway-20-for.html

Jill said...

What a cute pincushion Jan! Almost like a mini Earth in those colours too!
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Stephanie said...

Looks like you've had a busy August! Do you plan for September to be just as busy? Can't wait to see your quilt finished!

Esther Aliu said...

What a month, good for you, it's so great to get on with things, isn't it?

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I like your behomoth! :)

Anna said...

Nice !
Anna

Susan@Organized31 said...

Sounds like you've been busy, busy and your lovely quilts are the proof. I'm your kindred spirit in not being able to throw away a scrap of fabric or paper. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Sounds like you are having a good time! You won't believe how busy you will be now that you're retired! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Anonymous said...

Love those quilts very lovely. Thanks for sharing. Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

Laura said...

That's an amazing finish. I'd like to have seen more of it. Thanks for linking to TGIFF